I will be revealing ideas, dreams and methods that I use as an artist. Please share your own creative process. Together we will keep the creative fire's burning bright! Victoria Faern Montgomery

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Study Values, Choosing Wisely and Being Present

The view from my hotel window in Assisi was so wonderful. This image is cropped so that I could see more of the texture in this watercolour, mono-print. If any of my artist friends want to "play" then here are the steps to creating mono-prints:
  • Begin by purchasing several pieces of CLEAR (not frosted) plexi-glass plastic.
  • Bevel (you can purchase a bevel for under $20-) or you can sand the edges of the plexi-glass, doing this, gives an interest to the border of your finished art work. (Optional)
  • Wash the plexi-glass and gently polish with comet cleanser. Rinse well.
  • Coat the entire surface with a diluted gum arabic solution. 60 water, 40 gum arabic. Let plexi dry overnight.
  • Place plexiglass over a sketch, a finished pece of art or a photograph.
  • Now you will see through the plexi-glass at your image. 
  • As you paint directly onto the plastic surface, add small amounts of gum arabic to your water based paint as this will give the colour more texture and retard drying time.
  • When finished, place a piece of hot press paper or special print paper over the piece of plastic, plexiglass.
  • Burnish the entire surface (I use a wooden spoon)
  • Peel off the paper.
  • Enjoy your beautiful, watercolour mono-print!
When I did this watercolour of a vase of flowers, I focused on keeping the colours of each rectangle, the same value. I appreciate the movement in this composition.

7 comments:

  1. Very very very nice works!

    Arianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback!

    I hope to visit Italy again in 2010.

    Blessings of LIGHT,
    Faern

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Interesting blog, Faern. I have enjoyed going through it. This watercolor is very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors and pics! Its fab!

    Thanks for following my blog.

    Have a colorful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alô Faern I only now I could watch your blog and I think is spectacular because your works are very colorful and full of life.
    Congratulations and thanks to be follower of my blog.
    Have a Nice and Colorful Day
    Miryam Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your painting of flowers.
    It's very pretty.
    Congratulations.

    Miryam Jon

    ReplyDelete